Forbidden Forest Exploration
August 30, 2003: THE WINNERS
HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED!!!
GOAL OF THE MISSION
Following all of the terms of the mission, to use your vivid
imagination to write a short story inspired by the Harry Potter series and
the following statement by J.K. Rowling:
The forest at Hogwarts is home to
magical creatures like unicorns and centaurs. Because the Canadian editions
are printed on Ancient-Forest Friendly paper, the Harry Potter books are helping
to save magnificent forests in the Muggle world, forests that are home of
magical animals such as Orangutans, Wolves and Bears. It's a good idea to
respect ancient trees, especially if they have a temper like the Whomping
-- JK Rowling (Canadian edition of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)
TERMS OF THE MISSION
- Appropriately, this story must take place in the Forbidden Forest.
- It must include at least one character from the five published Harry Potter
- It must include at least one creature that is found either in the first
five published Harry Potter books OR Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find
Them by Newt Scamander. For reference purposes, you may want to visit
The Bestiary at the
- The story must not contradict information in the first five published
Harry Potter books.
- The story may be no longer than 1,000 words. That's two rolls of
parchment, with a little extra room for all the Hermiones out there.
- The story must be acceptable for reading by any age group. The Sugar
Quill will only post stories it feels are appropriate with regard to age of
writer, content of material, etc.
- You may submit a story in any of the following categories: Romance, Humor,
Angst, General, and Drama.
- This contest is open to everyone, providing you are 13 years of age or
older (and just you remember what happened to the twins, when they tried to
cross that age line!)
- You may only enter the contest once.
- All stories must reach us by August 8, 2003, 9 AM EST (Judging will take
place throughout the month of August. Results will be posted no later than
August 31, 2003). Stories may be sent to us anytime before August 8, 2003.
Winning stories will be chosen based on:
- Quality of Writing
- Faithfulness to Canon (the first five published Harry Potter books)
- What we like. Ha.
If you have questions about the terms of the mission, please ask them at the
ABOUT JK ROWLING AND ANCIENT FORESTS
JK Rowlings statement was inspired by the fact that her Canadian publisher,
Raincoast Books, printed the Canadian edition of Harry Potter and the Order
of the Phoenix on ancient forest friendly paper. By printing the initial
run on 100% post-consumer recycled, processed chlorine free paper, Raincoast
Books and Harry Potter have saved:
- 29,640 trees (or a forest area equivalent to 1.4 times the size of a
Quidditch World Cup stadium)
- 12,417,986 gallons of water (water to fill 31 Hogwarts lakes)
- 1,396,732 pounds of solid waste (equivalent mass to 155 Giant Squids)
- 20,248 BTUs of electricity (195 years of eckeltricity to power the average
- 2,679,548 pounds of greenhouse gases (2.4 million miles traveled by a
Flying Ford Anglia with average fuel efficiency)
The Canadian Harry Potter is the only edition internationally to be printed
on paper that is free of ancient and endangered forests. Its also the
only edition that has a statement by JK Rowling in it. Thats good news
for bio-diversity and the worlds forests!
Why is this important?
The worlds forests are being destroyed for paper, wood and construction
materials. They need a little magic to help safeguard them. Wizards already
use special protected forests to manufacture parchment, wands, and broomsticks.
- Only 20% of the Earths original forest remains in large, relatively
natural ecosystems known as frontier or ancient forests.
- Seventy-six countries have already lost all their original forest cover.
- Seventy-one percent of the worlds paper supply originates from
biologically diverse and valuable forests rather than from tree farms.
- 40% of Canadas ancient rainforests (trees up to 1400 years old)
and 65% of Canadas boreal forests are logged to produce paper.
- Global paper consumption is projected to grow roughly 77% by 2020
Everyone is a winner at the Sugar Quill. All entries will be
posted for review by the public on our website after the final decision has
The top seven winners will receive the following prizes:
Order of Merlin First Class (3 winners)
- Canadian edition of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and
an ancient forest friendly Firebolt (courtesy of Markets
Order of Merlin Second Class (2 winners)
- Sugar Quill T-shirt
Order of Merlin Third Class (2 winners)
- Sugar Quill Pen
Click here for the winners of the First
Annual Sugar Quill Fan Fiction Tournament
Click here for the winners of the Second
Annual Sugar Quill Fan Fiction Tournament
Click here to see who completed the Fifth
Click here to read entries for the Unexpected